中英双语《老子说》
更多卡卡老师分享公众号:卡卡课堂
帮助你在英文学习路上少走弯路
New Words:
ancient adj. 古代的,已往的
exhibit vt. 呈现;陈列,展览
intact adj. 完好无损;原封不动的
tongue n. 舌头,喙;语言
fall out 争吵;结果;解散;掉队
sway vi. 摇摆;歪,倾斜
foolishness n. 愚蠢,愚笨
concentrate vt.& vi.集中;专心于
老子说
From the most ancient times, the standard teachings had been: You must exhibit yourstrength and intelligence; don't let people think you are weak or foolish.
自古以来,一般的教诲都是: 人要表现坚强,不可柔弱 人要表现聪明,不要愚鲁!
However, a very unique man named Laozi appeared early on in Chinese history.
不过,中国历史上却出现一位“老子”与众不同。
Most people think that being strong is good!
路人甲:一般人都认为,刚强好啊!
But strength will break where weakness will remain intact.
老子:刚强的容易折断, 柔弱的才能够保全。
For instance, what's the hardest part of your body And what's the softest?
老子:比如说,你身上什么最硬?什么最软?
My teeth are the hardest and my tongue is the softest.
路人甲:牙齿最硬!舌头最软。
Take a look, I'm so old that my teeth have all fallen out yet my tongue is just fine.
老子:你看,到了我这年纪全部脱落了,舌头却完好无恙。
A huge tree is stronger than a tiny blade of grass, right?
老子: 大树比小草刚强吧?
Right!
弟子:是啊!
But in a typhoon, it's the huge tree that gets pulled up by the force of the wind, while the tiny grass just sways back and forth.
老子:台风来的时候大树经常被连根拔起,小草却完好无恙。
Most people think that intelligence is good, but a wise person should exhibit foolishness. Great wisdom appears to be foolishness.
老子:一般人认为聪明好,但一个智者应该表现愚鲁,大智若愚。大富翁通常深藏不露。
Wealthy people often give the appearance of having nothing.
大富翁通常深藏不露。
If you want to be a success, concentrate all of your energy and intelligence on one thing and play the fool in all others.
如果想有所成就,一定要把全部的智力、精力集中在一点,而在其他方面做一个愚者才行。